Terang siege

More help: A police helicopter landed on the Terang Recreation Reserve to deploy a dog squad to assist with the siege.

Large operation: A number of local police officers and members of a Critical Response Team in Melbourne covered part of Prince Street during a siege during Thursday morning.

A SIEGE in Terang’s Prince Street lasted more than seven hours earlier this morning.

Camperdown Police Acting Senior Sergeant Dean Greenwood said police attended a Prince Street address in relation to an incident at about 2am this morning.

“Police attended to speak to the male occupant,” he said.

The 36 year-old man from Terang then re-entered the property.

Police then requested a Critical Response Team from Melbourne to begin negotiations with the man.

“These negotiations were ongoing throughout the morning,” Actg Snr Sgt Greenwood said.

Canine support: A police dog squad was one of the many services rolled out during the siege.

During the negotiations, a police helicopter landed at the Terang Recreation Reserve to deploy a dog squad, in case the siege was further protracted.

The Critical Response Team also deployed “tactical options” to help defuse the situation.

Actg Snr Sgt Greenwood said an ambulance was also on scene as a “show of good faith” as the man was concerned he would be injured during the negotiations.

“At about 9.40am, the male was then taken into custody without an investigation,” he said.

“He was taken to the Warrnambool Police Station.”

Police apprehended a 36 year-old Terang man after a siege lasting more than seven hours

Police apprehended a 36 year-old Terang man after a siege lasting more than seven hours

Actg Snr Sgt Greenwood said the man would soon be charged with a number of criminal offences and face the Warrnambool Magistrates’ Court.

“We are really pleased no one was injured,” he said.

More details will be available in the January 10, 2019 edition of the Terang Express.

Comments are closed.